Friday, November 25, 2011

Giving Thanks

November 25, 2011
"Giving Thanks"
In nature God gave us so many pictures of His loving care.  When I look at this mother bird with the little chicks under her wings I see myself and my best friend, Gerald.  How thankful I am today for the way God cuddles us close to Him.  Finally  I can say I'm thankful for these desert years - thankful for the lessons I've  learned and especially  the simplicity of my relationship with God.  It feels so good to know I can cuddle under His wings and recount the ways that I love Him, even when I don't feel anything at the moment but empty.  I'm thankful I don't have to pretend to be super spiritual when I feel as flat as one can be and still breathe.  I'm thankful for a Mother who held me under her wings without clipping mine.  I'm thankful for a husband who hasn't a clue how to hold me or anyone else under his wings, but loves me with every ounce of his being.  I'm thankful I learned a long time ago how to "Mother" myself.  Through the years I've experience the  heights and deeps of life, I've had wonderful friends and I've had acquaintances  who betrayed - I'm thankful for both ends of the spectrum - let's me know I'm fully human and so are they.  I've wanted to run away and I've wanted to stay forever, somewhere in the middle I found that how I feel at any given moment may not be the sum total of my existence, just a feeling and it too will pass.   Tonight I'm thankful for my precious boys and their families - I'm glad they have a place to belong and someone to love them for themselves.  In looking at all these things that I'm thankful for I have to confess; it's hard for me to be thankful in the waiting room.  I want to make things happen, I want to work, I want to make a difference, I want order and purpose to come again. .. I'm thankful that I can still say these things and still know that tonight I'll sleep under the Father wings, just like every night since I came HOME to Him.  Tonight I am thankful!
paulette

1 comment: